Great Barrier Reef authorities have just said YES to coal port companies dumping dredge waste inside this World Heritage Area — all to make way a coal ship superhighway through our Reef. Reblog if this outrageous decision does not represent you. This is a massive disappointment, but we cannot give up hope. Sign up here to make our movement bigger than ever and keep up the fight to #SaveTheReef: http://www.SaveTheReef.org.au
Please Sign the petition guys. So many creatures will be decreased dramatically or even become endangered if we don’t stop it. Also watch the video. It really gave an insight into what would happen if this went ahead.
like dugongs. they’re mad important and live on the reef
Hey, so GetUp! is deciding to take legal action against this travesty, and you can donate to their kick starter here
The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority has caved to the pressure of the mining industry and the Federal Government. The agency charged with "the protection, wise use, understanding and enjoyment of the Great Barrier Reef in perpetuity" has allowed it to be sold out for short-term profits.
Late yesterday, they granted a permit to dump five million tonnes of dredge spoil inside the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area.
This destructive project is now allowed to go-ahead - unless we make a last ditch effort to challenge it in court. Click here to learn more, and help fund the legal challenge to save our Reef:
another legal action kick starter can be found here:
WHY DOES THIS NOT HAVE MORE NOTES?? THIS IS SO IMPORTANT!!
The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
Gloria Steinem and Dorothy Pitman-Hughes, 1972 and 2014
Both by Dan Bagan
Wanna see my cry like a baby? Ask me who these women were.
Hughes’ father was beaten nearly to death by the KKK when she was a kid, and what does she do? Become an activist to try and stop that from happening to other people. She raised money to bail civil rights protesters out of jail. She helped women get out of abusive situations by providing shelter for them until they got on their feet. She founded an agency that helped women get to work without having to leave their children alone, because childcare in the 1970s? Not really a thing. In fact, a famous feminist line in the 70s was “every housewife is one man away from welfare.”
Then she teamed up with Steinman to found the Women’s Action Alliance, which created the first battered women’s shelters in history. They attacked women’s rights issues through boots on the ground activism, problem solving, and communication. They stomped over barriers of race and class to meet women where they were: mostly mothers who wanted better for themselves and their children.
These are women are who I always wanted to be.
Im pretty sure I walk past a lot more cops than that
Welpity Welp Welpington
Life is too short to be holding on to old grudges
So my 13 y/o brother is on Xbox Live with his friends in the other room and the past 20 minutes I’ve heard him say
- Dude why do you use gay as an insult?
- You guys are fucking sexist, this is why I’m the only one of us who has a girlfriend
- Wow that wasn’t racist or anything
- No seriously gay does not mean stupid
PRAISE YOUR BROTHER
Rinko kikuchi by Akinori Ito
Please stop using Daily Mail articles. Stop citing them as sources. Just stop.
Its cool, you don’t know these things. That’s alright. But seriously listen for a sec.
The Daily Mail is Fox News. Its Fox News on a bad day. Every story is exaggerated, sensationalised, or downright made up.
It is not a newspaper that gives unbiased storylines. It is not a newspaper that gives accurate statistics. The Daily Mail lies.
The entirety of the United Kingdom
team satan. go team.